Re: [LUG] Gnome? - never

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 02:06:23PM +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> Alex Charrett wrote:
> >
> >>So I just wondered, are there any figures out there on usage KDE versus
> >>Gnome (and any others I suppose)? I have always assumed the KDE was way
> >>the most popular. Is this true? Or does nobody know?
> >
> > A quick survey round the office reveals 2 KDE users, 3 fluxbox users, 2
> > IceWM users and approx 10+ Gnome users.
> >
> > Not very scientific I'll grant you :)
>
> Nor is Debian popcon, but they report 3x as many people with gdm as kdm,
> of course they could be using gdm to start KDE, but the figures for
> other desktop packages were similar. Although I'm not sure which is the
> default in the installer, as that might bias the figures for a
> particular distribution.

Gnome seems to be common for corporate-type distributions (Novell use it, by
default at least; so did Red Hat last time I bothered to take any notice of
them, and I believe Sun use it on Solaris now).  KDE, on the other hand, seems
to be more popular in new-user-friendly distros, that are trying to seem more
like Windows (Mandriva and Xandros come to mind, but there are many others).

Personally, I can't stand either of them; KDE looks ugly to me, and Gnome
leaves dozens of dotfiles and directories everywhere (.gnome, ,gnome2,
.gnome2_private, .gconf, .gconfd, .metacity and .nautilus, and that's without
doing anything but starting gnome-session).

I've just started using ion3 (someone mentioned it on Sunday, and I've seen it
mentioned on a few people's blogs) and it has so far completely failed to
annoy me or do anything stupid. :)

        bma