Re: [LUG] Mobile phone cameras

Julian Hall wrote:
> Robin Cornelius wrote:
>
>> On 8/1/06, Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> usb 1-5.2: PL-2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
>>>

>> Looks like *something* was detected with a compatible VID and PID and
>> the usbserial module has bound to it, you must now have a /dev/ttyUSB0
>> that you can point an application at.
>>
>> Bit strange lsusb did not see the change however.
>>
>> By the way what are all those :-
>>
>> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>> hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>>
>> looks like a dickey HD to me.
>>
>> Robin
>>

> Hi guys,
>
> OK now having installed it in Windows I know the PL2303 *is* the mobile
> phone link - it came up saying 'Detected Prolific 2303 USB-Serial
> device' when I plugged it in which even to a bear of very little brain
> is a big clue ;)  It is a USB-Serial cable so in theory that should be it.
>
> Bus 001 Device 007: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial
> Port
>
> Do I need to use the +v to get the PID and VID or are these them, and
> I'm just not seeing it? Having just Googled I *think* the vendor is 067b
> and the product is 2303 as the page I found says they are both Hex
> separated by a colon.  Nothing else on the line fits.
>
> Would have been handy if the README had given an example of what it
> meant by PID and VID, but they probably figured if I was installing from
> source I ought to know *ahem*
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian
>
> PS Robin I think those errors are from the MultiCard reader as a couple
> of the ports have cards and some don't.  Probably trying to read cards
> not inserted.  I think.
You shouldn't need to know the PID and VID now that we've identified
that the usbserial module is picking up the device. You should just be
able to point your application to /dev/ttyUSB0. If you wanted to make it
use something like /dev/siemens, then that's a different matter. If you
can get Gammu installed, it's fairly easy to configure (the default
configuration file is littered with useful comments) and use.

Grant.