[LUG] Mobile phone cameras

A little while ago I bought a digital camera and I have had no problems
using it with Linux, via digikam and gphoto etc.

Now my daughter (who lives with us) is thinking of replacing her mobile
phone and the new one will inevitably include a camera. This has set me
to wondering about using Linux with a mobile phone camera.

So to my question, can Linux handle a mobile phone camera or not?
Looking through digikam etc only 'normal' digital cameras are mentioned.
Nothing is said about mobile phone cameras.

Yes, I know that I can do my own research, but if any of you can tell
me whether it is possible or not I will know if it would be a waste of
time to even start looking.

TIA

Neil Winchurst