Re: [LUG] Mobile phone cameras

Grant Sewell wrote:
> Alan Pope wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 08:29:15AM +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>
>>> So to my question, can Linux handle a mobile phone camera or not?
>>>
>> Some phones come with an IRDA interface, some USB, some Bluetooth,
some with
>> a mixture. Some newer ones even have wifi.
>>
>>> Looking through digikam etc only 'normal' digital cameras are mentioned.
>>> Nothing is said about mobile phone cameras.
>> 've not tried going down that route. My laptop has bluetooth built in, but
>> my desktop has one of those el-cheapo USB bluetooth dongles. I use the
>> standard Gnome OBEX/bluetooth stuff to receive pictures I send from my
>> phone. It's really as simple as "select all" on the phone then "send all -
>> via bluetooth". I then choose the machine I want to send to, they
handshake
>> and the pictures get sent.
>>
>> That's it really, it Just Works for me.
>>
>> A friend of mine has gone a step further and scripted his Linux box to
ping
>> his phone, and when it's in range, pull the pictures off it and upload to
>> his weblog.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Al.
> I just "upgraded" (well, it's a hand-me-down) to a 'phone with inbuilt
> camera.  It has IR, but alas my laptop doesn't.  I have bluetooth on my
> Desktop (by way of a cheap dongle), but alas the 'phone doesn't.  So, I
> went and bought a USB cable for the 'phone.  There are a number of
> applications that support interfacing with a camera using this method.
>
> I found "kmobiletools" does well at pulling SMS messages off the 'phone,
> and 'phone numbers, etc, etc.
> I found "gnokii" does a good job of pulling all other media off the
> 'phone.  This has 2 elements to it, the command line tool (gnokii) and
> the GUI tools (xgnokii) - however, it is just a flashy front-end to the
> command line tool, so that needs to work first. :p
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Grant.

Just by pure coincidence I received a data cable in the mail this
morning for my Sagem MyX-6.  Since reading this thread I've been
playing a bit.

My system allegedly has both kmobiletools and libgnokii2 installed.
No idea how to access or run either, and as it's not a Nokia the
online info is a lot slimmer.  I did find TuxMobile which had Gammu
(failed to install probably because the latest version is testing [or
is unstable the later one?]).

Anyway at the moment the phone is plugged in on USB and nothing can
see it.  Kmobiletools version is kmobiletools-0.4.3.3 installed from
source with no errors in either ./configure ./make or ./makeinstall.
No man page for it which is a bit of a bummer.  I had a look at the
README and it tells me to look in /proc/bus/usb/devices for the vendor
and product ID and then run this:

# modprobe usbserial vendor=0xYOURVENDOR product=0xYOURPRODID

Problem is I can't find Sagem in the devices.  Several with hex codes
for the manufacturer.  Could someone give me a hint what their mobile
shows up as in /proc/bus/usb/devices please?

Kind regards,

Julian