Re: [LUG] Mobile phone cameras

Alan Pope wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 08:29:15AM +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>
>> So to my question, can Linux handle a mobile phone camera or not?
>>
> Some phones come with an IRDA interface, some USB, some Bluetooth, some with
> a mixture. Some newer ones even have wifi.
>
>> Looking through digikam etc only 'normal' digital cameras are mentioned.
>> Nothing is said about mobile phone cameras.
> 've not tried going down that route. My laptop has bluetooth built in, but
> my desktop has one of those el-cheapo USB bluetooth dongles. I use the
> standard Gnome OBEX/bluetooth stuff to receive pictures I send from my
> phone. It's really as simple as "select all" on the phone then "send all -
> via bluetooth". I then choose the machine I want to send to, they handshake
> and the pictures get sent.
>
> That's it really, it Just Works for me.
>
> A friend of mine has gone a step further and scripted his Linux box to ping
> his phone, and when it's in range, pull the pictures off it and upload to
> his weblog.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.
I just "upgraded" (well, it's a hand-me-down) to a 'phone with inbuilt
camera.  It has IR, but alas my laptop doesn't.  I have bluetooth on my
Desktop (by way of a cheap dongle), but alas the 'phone doesn't.  So, I
went and bought a USB cable for the 'phone.  There are a number of
applications that support interfacing with a camera using this method.

I found "kmobiletools" does well at pulling SMS messages off the 'phone,
and 'phone numbers, etc, etc.
I found "gnokii" does a good job of pulling all other media off the
'phone.  This has 2 elements to it, the command line tool (gnokii) and
the GUI tools (xgnokii) - however, it is just a flashy front-end to the
command line tool, so that needs to work first. :p

Hope this helps.

Grant.