Re: [LUG] MSO, OOo and the executable metaphor

Keith Abraham wrote:

> Apple introduced the GUI (after Xerox) and others like Atari and
> Commodore soon followed. Not wishing to M$ bash but M$ was probably
> the last to adopt a GUI.

I think they were all pretty much the same sort of time.  I remember the
hype and fuss when Apple launched the Lisa, which I think was the first
of their GUI systems.  That must have been 1984-ish.  X Windows was
around at pretty much the same time and Sun were shipping X-based GUIs
as part of SunOS very soon after.  I don't recall M$ introducing
Windows, but I'm fairly sure it was mid-80s.  You might argue that
Windows 3.0 was where it all started for most people and that definitely
didn't launch until the 90s.

> It's interesting to note that most of the above took place in the 80s
> not the 90s as most people seem to think.

Lots of people in IT today were barely out of nappies then :)

James