Re: [LUG] OOo not a replacment for MSO?

On 13/07/06, Simon Williams <systemparadox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If OOo isn't a replacement for MSO then what is? MSO needs to be
> replaced somehow, since it doesn't run on Linux, and it's not free (or
> open, or standards compliant).
>
> If OOo isn't an office package then what is it?
>
> Unfortunately there is no total replacement for MSO yet, because OOo
> does not (yet I imagine) work well with powerpoint and access documents.

Seems to work ok for common powerpoint stuff for me. If you have
decent powerpoint slides done well then it shouldn't be a problem - I
imagine inexperienced people who use all the bells and whistles (and
hence produce awful presentations) will have more trouble ;)

There are actually several cross platform office programs, and I
support if most don't support ODF already then they will soon enough.

Abiword is a nice wordprocessor and gnumeric is a nice spreadsheet -
they are standalone and work just fine that way thanks.

StarOffice also has extra stuff to increase compatibility with MS
Office if OOo isn't close enough. IBM also has a similar product but I
don't know much about it.

There is also ThinkFree Office : http://product.thinkfree.com/common.tfo

..and http://www.vistasource.com/vs2/en/applixware.php applixware
allows you to build your own bespoke office applications - neat.

If you absolutely positively need to use MS Office then you can always
use it via CrossOver.

So - sorted for Office applications on linux then :)

A.