Re: [LUG] Databases part 3

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 13:16:55 +0100
"Robin Cornelius" <robin.cornelius@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> After a number of boched upgrades where i was left with an unusable
> system, prehapse my fault for following the devel branch when this is
> really not stable, i finally switched to debian and havent looked back
> since.
>
> The only think i will say is that mandrake does have a package
> managment system so try to use it to install packages where possible.
> Use urpmi for dependency tracking instead of rpm (its a rpm wrapper)
> and try to find out where the packages expect config files etc and use
> those locations. This makes it easier to upgrade in the future and
> makes it easier to ask for help from others with the same distro if
> things are where they are suspose to be. Also try to avoid building
> from source especialy if a package is avaiable, as again keeping upto
> date is then entirely on you.
>
> Regards
>
> Robin

That is exactly what I do. I use the management package system if
possible. If not, then I avoid building from source and I try my best
to make sure that the programs finish up where expected. I have now
reached the stage with Mandriva where I have more or less most of the
programs that I want/need. I don't foresee much in the way of
installing in the future. Just the odd bit of upgrading, perhaps.

regards

Neil winchurst