Re: [LUG] Databases part 3

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 12:35:12 +0100
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Probably the simplest solution for your assumptions is LAMP. It provides
> the same MVC that you describe. The model is the detail of the database
> tables, indices and such. This can (and should) be hidden from the
> ordinary users by creating the view. The controller is then adapting the
> view using the model - showing only the data that the view uses.

You sent me a very long and detailed email, and I would like to thank
you and all other lug members who have replied to my original email. I
now realise that I have to have a big rethink about the whole approach
to creating and working with databases. Windows led me astray. I
suppose that the only thing I can say in its favour was that, in return
for leaving me with very little control, it made setting up a database
for my clients quicker and easier for me. But I do accept now that it
was a "Bad Thing"!!

Much more research needed, and I will do just that. Meanwhile, just one
question. LAMP stands for Linux, Apache, Mysql and PHP, yes? Or the
letter P could be for Perl or Python. I don't know Perl or PHP but I
do know Python. Is that acceptable or should I make the effort to learn
one of the others? And if so which one?

And, since it appears that PHP is a scripting language, does it replace
Javascript, or is that needed too? And, unfortunately, I don't know
Apache either. Big sigh...... To have proper control takes a lot of
hard work.

Very gratefully

Neil winchurst