[LUG] Databases part 3

Well, I have been looking at knoda database frontend, mainly with
mysql. I am starting to get the hang of it all, even though I would
prefer to be using an all-in-one type of database, which, as I have
mentioned before, does not exist in Linux yet.

However, an appeal to all you database experts out there. One of the
most important and useful tools for a database is the search. No, not a
query, a search. For example, I have a database with say 10,000
records. I need to look at one particular record, and I know that the
reference code is eg AB217. There should be a 'search' button or
perhaps a key combination which brings up a 'Search for a record'
window. I can then enter the search key (in my example AB217) and press
enter. I am then taken straight to the relevant record which appears on
the screen for me to examine.

I can't find anything like that in any of the databases that I have
looked at, or perhaps I have missed something. Incidently, all the
Windows databases that I have ever used included a method of searching
for one particular record. And the facility to use wild keys (usually
the asterisk and the question mark) was always included too. I just do
not see how it is possible to use a database without this facility. And
no, a query will not do the job, it has a quite different purpose in
life.

Or am I not seeing something here? Any help/comments from the experts
out there will be welcomed.

TIA

Neil Winchurst