Re: [LUG] Databases part 3

On 7/3/06, Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for that. When I first decided to try Linux I had a look at
> several, including Redhat and  Suse, and finally settled on Mandrake
> (version 7 back then if I remember correctly.) I have stuck with
> Mandrake/Mandriva ever since, mainly I suppose because I have got to
> know it well over the years and I am comfortable with it.

This is similar to how i started. I had a mandrake 6.2 i believe
system running as the mail and samba server at work. I think this was
going for nearly 5 years (can it really be that long?).  I also used
mandrake at home and tried various versions.

> No doubt lug members all have their own favourites, but I have only one
> computer, so I had to choose one and stick with it. So whatever advice
> or suggestions I am given I have to go with it using Mandriva2006. No
> better or worse than many others I suppose.

After a number of boched upgrades where i was left with an unusable
system, prehapse my fault for following the devel branch when this is
really not stable, i finally switched to debian and havent looked back
since.

The only think i will say is that mandrake does have a package
managment system so try to use it to install packages where possible.
Use urpmi for dependency tracking instead of rpm (its a rpm wrapper)
and try to find out where the packages expect config files etc and use
those locations. This makes it easier to upgrade in the future and
makes it easier to ask for help from others with the same distro if
things are where they are suspose to be. Also try to avoid building
from source especialy if a package is avaiable, as again keeping upto
date is then entirely on you.

Regards

Robin