[LUG] unstable with SMP using 2.6 kernel in Etch

If I boot this machine with the current SMP kernel it runs for a while,
longer if GNome is not logged in, I think, and then freezes completely.

With the single processor -486- version of the kernel it works fine.

I've tried googling, tried noapic and acpi=off but I don't understand it.

Previously it was stable under SMP with Sarge, plus a load of Etch
packages, until it ate the drive this was on - hence reinstall...

Advice?

--
Midgley