Re: [LUG] Databases again

Neil Winchurst wrote:

>> I tried, both as root and as normal user. It still comes back with the
>> error message about being unable to connect to the socket.
>
>> [root@localhost neil]# /usr/share/mysql/mysql.server start &
>> Starting MySQL Server                                           [[1]
>> 6190 [root@localhost neil]#   OK  ]
>> [root@localhost neil]# ps aux | grep mysql
>> [1]+  Done                    /usr/share/mysql/mysql.server start
>> [root@localhost neil]# /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password pyworthy
>> /usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
>> error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
>> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)' Check that mysqld is running and that
>> the socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists! [root@localhost neil]#
>
>> So I am still stuck

You can't set the root password using mysqladmin unless MySQL is
already running, so that's still the problem you have to resolve.

Are the messages in the error logs still the same ones as you were
getting before you ran mysql_install_db?  If not, what are they?
If they are, are the files in /var/lib/mysql owned by the mysql
user (I'm not familiar with Mandriva, so this isn't an absolute
given, but it's pretty common.)

If all else fails, I'd be tempted to remove or rename /var/lib/mysql
and re-run mysql_install_db and then try starting mysql to see if it
generates the same errors.

James