Re: [LUG] Switching the list to mailman

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Simon Waters wrote:

Grant Sewell wrote:

Out of interest, Alex, is there a particular reason for the move?

Trust him, he's an email professional (although he still forwards me too
much spam ;-).

Heh, I must look at that when I get time :)  More anti-spam!

Majordomo was great, small, relatively simple, and practically unmaintained.

Unmaintained was a pretty big factor. AOL have started rejecting mails with content outside of the mime boundaries and the way majordomo applies
the mail footer is just to stick it on the end of the mail regardless.

I did overhaul the majordomo resend code to fix this, but afterwards thought it was a good time to look at another option :).

It's also been noticed on this list that one users's mails were having a load of rubbish at the bottom, which was the result of a base64 encoded body having a plaintext footer applied to it. The rubbish is caused by mail clients trying to base64 decode plain text.

I think your just seeing software drift, to something with a nice web
interface, and more features, and proper maintenance. Majordomo was a
tad workman like, but hey it did the job for ages.

Mailman seems to be pretty much a standard these days, although I've tried it a couple of times before and didn't like how some of it worked, but it's much better now (I still think all those cron jobs are a bit much but hey).

I do still like majordomo, but I have been using it for the best part of 10 years :)

Alex.

-