Re: [LUG] American/ British English

Simon Waters wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
>> ii  thunderbird    1.5-4  Thunderbird standalone mail client
>> version 1.5 (20060318)
>
> It worked in 20060228 with UK English, as that is what I'm using.
>
> I suspect the problem is getting the right Myspell configuration in
> place, in Debian this is just "apt-get myspell-en-gb".

Quite possible, but amd64 does have a different version of TBird for now
at least. This would not be unusual if it was i386 that had the newest
version but it is interesting (a sign of things to come?) that it is
amd64 that is leading. I'm keeping my i386 test systems in case a future
upgrade to my code (written from here on using amd64) creates a "fails
to build from source" bug on i386.

>> Bear in mind that T'Bird has 338 bugs in Debian:
>> http://packages.qa.debian.org/t/thunderbird.html
>
> s/bugs/bug reports/

Agreed.

> When looking at Sarge RC bugs before Sarge was released, I discovered
> huge numbers were misclassified, or just the result of an individual
> with a messed up configuration.

The BTS is open to anyone to merge and reclassify such bugs. All it
takes is an email client. On Debian, you can use the 'bts' programme.

# apt-get install bts

Don't worry, you don't get a local mirror of all bug reports, you get a
utility programme that allows simple interaction with the BTS.

>> (I lost the first version of this reply when T'Bird 1.5-4 crashed and
>> I've got persistent problems with the cursor that works OK when typing
>> but gets very messy when you try to move back, up or down through the
>> text - I never quite know which line I am on until I start typing.)
>
> Sounds like it is just your config to me,

Agreed.

> but till they fix some more
> Xorg bugs I'm being ultra cautious with the upgrades,

I currently have little choice - I'm using amd64 and I've just erased
OSX to install Debian ppc on the iBook. The new amd64 box and the iBook
will both be Gnome-only.

- --

Neil Williams
http://www.data-freedom.org/