Re: [LUG] American/ British English

Neil Williams wrote:

1. My compiled software is exclusively C, not C++ or anything else.
Out of interest why is that? Anyway I thought the Linux kernel was C++.
2. KMail was the only KDE app that I really liked - KDevelop stinks for
C and/or large projects. (See Debian bug #323090)
KMail has now got too fussy for it's own good and I don't like all the
fluff (a common criticism of all things KDE).
3. Even my embedded code revolves around the Gnome Palmtop Environment,
not Opie (from KDE).
I tried GPE on my Zaurus, but it was very inefficient and difficult to use. Opie was just so much more suited to a palmtop. GPE also seemed a bit slow to me.
What sort of embedded software are you into?
4. I've found sufficient extensions and themes for FireFox and TBird to
get the functionality I need with none of the fluff.
I agree, but GTK apps never look really good.
5. Functionality is more important than eye-candy. Gnome is the natural
home for those of a similar disposition.
I know KDE is somewhat inefficient eye-candy bloatware, but it just works better out of the box for me. I tried gnome, but gave up as soon as I found there was no simple way of making all the icons a sensible size- why are they so big? Why are they resized individually, out of scale and per pixel?

I'm not really sure how we got here, or where it's going.
Just my 2 cents.

Simon

-