[LUG] Broadband providers

Having recently bought a new computer and installed Mandriva2006 I have
decided that it is about time to finally enter the new century by
moving to broadband.

I know that the local exchange (Holsworthy) has been upgraded so it's a
question of choosing a provider.

My telephone bill is provided by Talktalk, including the landline, and I
know that they have recently announced a supposedly great deal which
includes "free broadband", but I am a bit wary of them for two main
reasons.

One, I suspect that they are going to be overwhelmed by the sheer
number of people applying, which will inevitably mean a lowering of
standards.

Two, I do not wish to be tied in to a contract for eighteen months with
an expensive get out clause. It is just too long.

There is no cable in this area so forget Telewest and NTL, and don't
even mention AOL or BT. However that still leaves plenty of choice,
which is the problem.

I would be interested in any suggestions, warnings, recommendations,
suggestions from Dclug members, and possibly others would find them
useful too.

Perhaps I should mention that we have two computers here (the second
one using Windows...sorry!) and three phones (all on the same number).

I have done some research on the internet already, but your help would
be great.

Thanks

Neil Winchurst

-