Re: [LUG] GNU/Linux Promotion & Meeting

Good point regarding members who are still at school, what would be just as helpful is input from teachers / technicians, as that way we can get a overall picture, we also need to decide on primary / secondary schools, as each have different needs and our approach must balance the needs of everyone.

As said booking the rugby club for 1/2 term or any time is not really a problem, It would be nice to be able to chat to some of the schools we want to help so they can get to know us, in a less formal environment, and discuss their needs, and more importantly financial constraints, it's no good offering a web server package, to somewhere that has it's site hosted elsewhere, equally, no point offering a package at a cost of £500 when the budget does not stretch that far.

As I coach at the rugby club I know quite a few children who go to local schools, more importantly I know the parents, I can find out who to write to etc. That way we can contact the head of IT or technicians directly.
Paul.

Thinking on that point, I guess it would be good to get input from
members of the LUG who are still at school, as they'd have first hand
experience of how things work nowadays at schools.

Promotion Event Date

I dont know what other members feel but perhaps a date during the
school holidays (Summer half term break perhaps) would give us maximum
impact, maybe ask the schools announce it ?

Summer half term? Is that the break in May?

Promotion Venue

This depends on how big / small the event is going to be. Internet
access would be useful, and cafe services area for tea / coffee / soft
drinks and biscuits maybe useful.

Are there any places locally that could offer something like this at low
prices?  Just a thought, how much would Torbay Council charge to rent
out the big hall they use for their flea markets etc for a day?  Only
other issue I can think of is getting the internet access, not sure if
Torbay Council could provide some sort of proxied/firewalled access to
the net?

Technology showcases

Examples:
Voip / Video conferencing (maybe just point to point at venue). eg
linphone, gnomemeeting......
OpenOffice
Virtual Learning Environments - Moodle.
TuxPaint

Anyone got some other "must demo" free software technologies they
would like to showcase ?

Tom.

Rob