Re: [LUG] css and broken design

On Sunday 01 January 2006 9:25 pm, Paul Sutton wrote:

(Please change the subject of other replies to this thread, this is not the
fault of firefox, it's your broken code and bad choice of tool)

> I know there are a lot of errors, which is why I am starting over using
> css,  I think to use this nav bar and css, it needs a rewrite anyway.  I
> am using the same code base as tom,  i.e the same tutorial,  and this is
> from the w3c web site.
>
> Will have a look,  Most of the code on the site, is done using Dreamweaver

There's your problem. You've let Ghoulweaver lead you into a dead end.

You can't get valid HTML from WYSIWYG tools because what you see is not valid.
HTML was never designed for WYSIWYG. Ghoulweaver, Frontpig and others just
don't get it right. It's a bit like when MS tried to "bolt-on" the internet
to Win95. It simply don't work! You have to be VERY strict with what you do
in these tools to even get something that you can hack into being valid.

Uninstall ghoulweaver, design the thing in vi and lynx - THEN it'll work.

If you're going for a complete rewrite anyway, ditch the tables (all of them),
ditch the horrible style mess that interjects style tags all through the
document and PLEASE do something about the generation of the page that
currently causes a <meta> tag to be output AFTER the </HTML> tag!

--

Neil Williams