Re: [LUG] Palm Lifedrive & Linux

On Saturday 31 December 2005 3:09 pm, Simon Robert wrote:
> I am attempting to connect a lifedrive to mandriva 2006. I have kpilot
> installed and the palm is recognised when I connect it and the
> /dev/pilot node created. Also I can use it in drive mode with no
> problem. However when I try hotsync with kpilot it stops at %30 of the
> update with a message about being unable to access system information.

pilot-link is in the midst of an overhaul for the much delayed 0.12 release.
0.11.8 is two years old. I can't see that Mandriva would have 0.12-pre1 or
later, so it must be 0.11.8

Which version of pilot-link are you using? (the kpilot version is completely
irrelevant, all the work is done by pilot-link.)

Can you connect sensibly using the command line tools?

pilot-xfer -l
(or pilot-xfer -p /dev/pilot -l
if you haven't exported PILOTPORT)

> I've tried jpilot too.

Gee whizz, some people! You just can't leave the GUI's alone can you! Forget
the front-end, get into the gubbins of the thing at the command line!!!
:-)

> This seems more cryptic and just quits asking me
> to kill PIDnnnnn and try again. When I try this the PID doesn't exist
> and another try results in the same. And it also removes /dev/pilot.

Then don't use the symlink. Find what it's pointing at, find what dmesg says
for the connected port(s) and go from there. /dev/pilot is deprecated anyway.

> Any pointers would be really helpful as I'd really like to do all this
> stuff with linux, rather than dragging my address book etc to windows
> and then updating the palm.

Which distribution?

You could try pilot-link-0.12-pre4 via Debian experimental but this has known
problems with USB connections - better to go for current pilot-link-0.12 CVS
(which may be released as -pre5 or as 0.12.0).

Your addresses can be retrieved using pilot-qof=0.0.6-1 in Debian experimental
but there are changes in some other object tables in 0.0.7 so you'd be well
advised to follow the advice I gave Henry about using 0.0.7 (which works with
pilot-link 0.11.8) from my trivial apt repository:

http://www.dcglug.org.uk/archive/2005/12/msg00229.html

Then you'll have access to the Calendar, ToDo and Expenses as well as
Contacts.

What OS is the LifeDrive using? Which version?

(Hint: in future, remember to specify all the version details in queries like
this!)

--

Neil Williams