Re: [LUG] Broadband

Hi all,

Sorry I'm late to the discussion... not been readily able to check my emails this
past week.

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:29:04 +0100
Simon Waters wrote:

> > Though with Demon and with most ISPs, the free modem seems to be USB.
> > I'm not going there. Is it wiser to buy your own modem/router to have
> > DHCP piece of mind? Or does an ISP give a decent modem away...
>
> Buy one. Make sure it does ADSL2 (ADSL 2+ is a branding thing I
> think?!), to save buying another later.

ADSL2 is not a branding thing, it is a "new and exciting" variant of ADSL that some
parts of France has been using for some time now.  For a brief overview of the
differences, take a peek at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adsl and see how we're
being suckered by BT...

> > After checking the number, it seems 1mb down and 256up is the best one
> > can get. Disappointing. Or is this incorrect?
> >
> > Is Demon alright still? :)
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/30/demon_broadband/

I went with Prodigynet because (at the time) they were reasonably competitive (not
the cheapest of the lot, mind); had an option for both a capped and more importantly
an uncapped line; they provide the option for a statically assigned IP (although
when I emailed them about it, I got no response... but they did make the alteration,
I just had to restart the router's interface a couple of times to find that out :D);
they provide a small webspace (100Mb) and pop email facilities - both useful as
"just in case" solutions -; they do a range of payment options including monthly
(with a minimum of 1month contract period), quarterly, annually; and they don't
appear to have any significant "small-print" in the contract/agreement - some ISPs
apparently don't like it if you run your own publically visible servers on their
lines.  The biggest factor for me, though, was that when I phoned up to ask some
questions about their service, I got through to an actual network technician who
maintains their Cisco kit (and so hopefulls understand at least a little bit about
networks)... which was good for me since I'm a Cisco kid (well, tutor).  Couldn't
tell you if this was a fluke or whether this is the norm, but it pushed things in
their favour with me!

Couldn't tell you about their Linux support, mind you.  Never had to had to ask
them...

www.prodigynet.co.uk

Grant.
--
Unix:  Some say the learning curve is steep, but you only have to climb it once.