[LUG] Broadband

Since my parent's exchange has been enabled, I thought they should get
broadband.

Though with Demon and with most ISPs, the free modem seems to be USB.
I'm not going there. Is it wiser to buy your own modem/router to have
DHCP piece of mind? Or does an ISP give a decent modem away...

After checking the number, it seems 1mb down and 256up is the best one
can get. Disappointing. Or is this incorrect?

Is Demon alright still? :)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/30/demon_broadband/

Else can anyone recommend something that isn't the draconian
pay-as-you-go.