Re: [LUG] Broadband

On Monday 17 Oct 2005 23:22, Kai Hendry wrote:
> Since my parent's exchange has been enabled, I thought they should get
> broadband.
>
> Though with Demon and with most ISPs, the free modem seems to be USB.
> I'm not going there. Is it wiser to buy your own modem/router to have
> DHCP piece of mind? Or does an ISP give a decent modem away...
>
> After checking the number, it seems 1mb down and 256up is the best one
> can get. Disappointing. Or is this incorrect?
>
> Is Demon alright still? :)
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/30/demon_broadband/
>
> Else can anyone recommend something that isn't the draconian
> pay-as-you-go.

I use Pipex. Purely because they "do" support Linux - although having said
that, they pretty much have no idea about Linux if you are unfortunate enough
to have to ring them! Not the cheapest adsl deal - but it does just work with
no bother. They gave me a Speedtouch 330 USB modem. That works with Linux :)
Not always easy to set up - depends on your distro. Some are easy - others a
real pain! Most distros seem to include some sort of PPPoE settings - which
was no use to me - PPPoA here. But I have successfully connected with the
Speedtouch via my distro (Yoper) and wrote a little how-to for it, based on
the info in the Linux-USB pages relating to Speedtouch modems.
I only did that for someone elses benefit really - I use a Smoothwall box as
my main router/firewall - and would recommend that as a simple way to connect
if you have the Speedtouch modem ( there is an iso including the various
patches to get the Speedtouch to work - otherwise its a bit of a pain
downloading them all via another machine and scp/ssh etc)
The speed you get is dependant on your location. My own local exchange has
been enabled for 2mb down - but because of the way the cables are sited
( they go past my home from the exchange, then circle the entire village and
return to me! I am about 1.5km from the exchange, but with the way the
routing takes - I am 7km away !). So I get 512mb basic, but the line adapts
to the level of noise apparently - so on a good day I can get nearly 1mb
(info from my ISP).
The earlier BT Voyagers work with Linux - as d othe mentioned Speedtouches.
But if you dont get a freebie modem, I would go ethernet - that should just
work.
Mark