Re: [LUG] Back from the Philippines !

Hi

Welcome back,  sounds like there is good progress out there.

Paul

Tom Brough wrote:

Hi everybody,

I'm now back from my trip to the Philippines where I got the chance to meet guys at DabaweGNU Inc. (Davao City's equivalent of DCGLUG). I also got a chance to see first hand the K12LTSP installation at Kapitain Thomas Monteverde Sr. Elementary School, where I was interviewed in English by some of the students. I was supprised by the amount of commitment and dedication of the staff and students. The school services the lowest classes of philippine society and there is as yet no coverage of ITC in the national curriculum in the Philippines, so the staff have had to create there own curriculm and the students (an teachers) have given up there free periods because there is no other time available. To put this in perspective there are 4,200 students and the school day operates in 2 shifts, with the first shift starting at 5am and the second shift finishing at 5pm

Unfortunately it looks unlikely that I will be able to extend the project to other schools in the region as my main support out there is (understandably) reluctant to take on another school, and has also been allocated a place on a training course in Australia which will take him away from Davao City for a year, although he will remain in contact with the rest of the suport group via voice over IP connection.

Anyway I'll save the rest for a future meeting !

Tom.