Re: [LUG] How stable is Etch?

David Johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was just wondering how many people are using Debian Etch and how stable they
> find it?
> I'm soon to commission a new web/e-mail/file server and am trying to decide
> whether to stick with Sarge or move to Etch. I always found Sarge stable

Are there particular features you require (or would like) in Etch that
sarge does not have? If this is not true then I would recomend sticking
to sarge for a pure server. I run sarge servers at work but home I run
unstable for my desktop so i can have shiny new features.

Mainly i would stick to sarge for security reasons, sarge is updated by
debians security team if necessary and you can leave cron-apt running to
ensure you have updated packages. I think this is wise especialy as you
want to run web and email on the server which will be open to the internet.

Robin