2..4 to 2.6 was Re: [LUG] How stable is Etch?

Adrian Midgley wrote:

> I'm contemplating moving one from 2.4 to 2.6 because ...

> Is that the sort of move that inspires worry in people or should one
> expect it to go smoothly?

Within Sarge it is usually very smooth, just install the 2.6
kernel-image and it should update the GRUB menu as approrpriate. I have
one box that obviously needs some attention to make 2.6 boot correctly,
but you can just back out by rebooting the old kernel from the grub
menu, and "apt-get remove" the new kernel-image package (otherwise it
stays as the default in the GRUB menu and you don't want that).

Obviously any kernel changes could break existing hardware support, but
that is less and less common especially in servers.