Re: [LUG] Evolution (was Arghgh! Apt-get issues again!)

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:14:12 +0100
Adrian Midgley wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 10:27 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
>

> > Couldn't get it to work, but my guess is that this is because of the College's
> > setup rather than mine.  They allow OWA (Outlook Web Access) from the Internet
> > but not direct Exchange access.  If I had been bothered, I could have tried
> > using Evolution + Connector from within their LAN, but I found it easier to just
> > use OWA.  Having said that, the College are currently having a bit of a
> > networking overhaul, so I might ask for VPN access once things have settled down
> > and then try again with Connector.  Ideally I would like some other application
> > to use Connector rather than Evolution.
>
> Run Evolution on one machine (could be the same or not) with a single
> rule that moves all mail to an IMAP account, on the same or a different
> machine on the same or a different network, then access the IMAP account
> with your preferred mail client.
>
> Easy.

That would pre-suppose that I would be given authority to have a non-College machine
connected to a College network even when I am not there.  They wouldn't agree to
this, I can guarantee it!

I don't tend to use my College email for *anything* other than communication with
colleagues, so I'm quite happy to keep using OWA only.  Saves mixing things up.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Grant.
--
Unix:  Some say the learning curve is steep, but you only have to climb it once.