Re: [LUG] Arghgh! Apt-get issues again!

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:56:59 +0100
Neil Williams wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 August 2005 12:03 pm, Grant Sewell wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Debian Sid, upgrade issues again.
>
> Generally what I do here is work with each affected package individually if
> apt-get -f doesn't work.
>
> That's the thing with Sid - it's unstable, apt's famous reliability is honed
> by bugreports from unstable.
>
> Check for a bug report on X11-common and see if there's a recommended
> solution:

> > As you can see, it doesn't appear to have worked.  I am stumped.
>
> Solutions:
> 1. Use reportbug - it's a very important part of life with Sid.
> 2. Do what you can to solve problems individually.
> 3. If you really can't live with Sid, there's always testing (now Etch).

Cheers Neil.

I am happy enough with Sid, I have had few problems with it and it seems stable
enough for a desktop system - I am running Sarge for my Mail/Web servers though.  I
don't run Evolution much (only really installed it to play around and try the
Exchange connector thingy); X is running smoothly, so I'm guessing they're not a
problems that'll affect my system greatly.  But, I have to ask... with issues like
this, will apt sort itself out later on?  For example, once the X issues have been
resolved by the Debian X SF team, and appropriate changes to Sid's packages have
been made, would a simple "apt-get update & apt-get upgrade" then work again?

Thanks.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.