Re: [LUG] Options for configuring Exim4 on a fresh Debian mailserver?

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:33:04 +0100
Grant Sewell wrote:

> Ok, so I am now setting up a mail server for myself.  What I want to be able to do
> is this:
>  1) Download my emails to my mail server from my ISP(s) using POP3.

I should use fetchmail.  Agreed?

>  2) Send emails from my "client" machines to my mail server using SMTP.

Ignore this one - clashes with 4.

>  3) Outgoing emails to be sent from -at-thymox.co.uk.  I do not know whether it
> would be best to forward these using SMTP to my ISP(s) or not or what.

I should use something like exim to send directly rather than go via my ISP for
outgoing?  Agreed?

>  4) Be able to connect to my mail server from my "client" machines using IMAP.

I should look into Dovecot?  Agreed?

>  5) I would also like emails from my server machines to be sent to
> "XXXserver-at-thymox.co.uk" (where XXX is either web or mail) so I can pick them
> up.

Come back to this one later.

Cheers.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.