Re: [LUG] Options for configuring Exim4 on a fresh Debian mailserver?

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 16:45:57 +0100
Grant Sewell wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I am just setting up a nice lil' web server for myself at home.  Fresh to this, so
> expect some questions in the coming months.  First and foremost... Debian's
> base-config options for the MTA.  Here's what I'd like, if someone could do me the
> honour of explaining which MTA option I should go for, I'd be very appreciative.
>
> The webserver is going to be on 24/7 (hopefully) and just sit in the loft.  All
> configuration is to be through SSH or Webmin.  I would like all system mail to be
> sent to my ISP's mail server so that I can pick it up on my desktop machine (I'm
> not setting up my own mail server yet... one step at a time).  The options
> presented to me presently are:
>
> 1) Internet Site; mail is sent and received directly using SMTP.
> 2) Mail sent by smarthost; received via SMTP or fetchmail.
> 3) Mail sent by smarthost; no local mail.
> 4) Local delivery only; not on a network.
>
> I've had a look over the Debian Installation Guide
> (http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch07s02.html.en#base-config-mta), but
> to be honest, it doesn't really help much.  I am thinking that option 3 is what I
> want, but I am not sure.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Grant.

Ok, so I am now setting up a mail server for myself.  What I want to be able to do
is this:
 + Download my emails to my mail server from my ISP(s) using POP3.
 + Send emails from my "client" machines to my mail server using SMTP.
 + Outgoing emails to be sent from -at-thymox.co.uk.  I do not know whether it would
be best to forward these using SMTP to my ISP(s) or not or what.
 + Be able to connect to my mail server from my "client" machines using IMAP.

I would also like emails from my server machines to be sent to
"XXXserver-at-thymox.co.uk" (where XXX is either web or mail) so I can pick them up.

As I said above, I am new to this game.  Until very recently I've been a Linux
desktop person only.  I am venturing forth into the Server room, so be warned!

Anyway, again the documentation for this section doesn't seem to be written with the
idiot in mind... I am thinking that option 1, but that doesn't mention POP accounts,
so perhaps option 2?  Or 3 or 4?  Arghghg!

Cheers.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.