Re: [LUG] Options for configuring Exim4 on a fresh Debian mailserver?

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 10:33:04AM +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
> Ok, so I am now setting up a mail server for myself.  What I want to be able to do
> is this:
>  + Download my emails to my mail server from my ISP(s) using POP3.
>  + Send emails from my "client" machines to my mail server using SMTP.
>  + Outgoing emails to be sent from -at-thymox.co.uk.  I do not know whether it
> would be best to forward these using SMTP to my ISP(s) or not or what.
>  + Be able to connect to my mail server from my "client" machines using IMAP.
>
> I would also like emails from my server machines to be sent to
> "XXXserver-at-thymox.co.uk" (where XXX is either web or mail) so I can pick them
> up.
>
> As I said above, I am new to this game.  Until very recently I've been a Linux
> desktop person only.  I am venturing forth into the Server room, so be warned!
>
> Anyway, again the documentation for this section doesn't seem to be written with
> the idiot in mind... I am thinking that option 1, but that doesn't mention POP
> accounts, so perhaps option 2?  Or 3 or 4?  Arghghg!

FWIW

- I fetch all my emails using fetchmail

- Filter them with procmail

- Read them using mutt but from what I understand it is relatively easy
  to read the local mail boxes using IMAP and another program

- All email is sent using exim (smtp to a reliable SMTP address for
  reforwarding). For me this is essential as I am worried my emails will
  otherwise fall foul of someone's spam rule or other.

  The address of the sender is frankly irrelevant. My understanding is
  that this is not checked, except by the receivers spam rules

  If however you want to have a default sending address then that can be
  specified in exim