Re: [LUG] Options for configuring Exim4 on a fresh Debian mailserver?

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:15:20 +0100
Adrian Midgley wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 10:33 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
>
> > Ok, so I am now setting up a mail server for myself.  What I want to be able to
> > do is this:
> >  + Download my emails to my mail server from my ISP(s) using POP3.
> Fetchmail is the business for this, assuming you continue to want to use
> POP3.
> If you start to want to use IMAP4 then Fetchmail is still the biz.
>
> poll my.isp.net with protocol auto grant there is grant here
>
> poll my.isp.net with protocol auto SO there is SO here
>
> etc

Thanks Adrian.

That bit... doesn't make a lot of sense to me!  I've got it that I need to use
fetchmail (well I don't "need" to, but it's pretty damn good and is well doc'ed).  I
take it that polling thing is if I want to use IMAP4 with my ISP's accounts?  Don't
think they offer it, so I'll forget that.  Thanks though.

> >  + Send emails from my "client" machines to my mail server using SMTP.
>
> If using Postfix, as I do, then if you wnat to do that (SMTP Relay) then
> you will set your ISP's mailserver (eg smtp.myisp.net or
> post9364.bigisp.net ) as the relayhost.
>
> There is something about relayhost and smarthost that I have not fully
> appreciated...

I just noticed that I contradict myself in my list!  Ok, forget point 2 - clients to
use IMAP4 only.

> >  + Outgoing emails to be sent from -at-thymox.co.uk.
> > I do not know whether it would be best to forward these using SMTP to my ISP(s)
> > or not or what.
> If you have a permanent IP address, and the world can see it in a DNS
> outside, then you may as well send by SMTP Direct, if not, I think much
> of the world will bounce you as unvouched for.  THis is arguably
> incorrect behaviour (although I defer to almost everyone who does it for
> a living on that part...) but is done for self defence.
>
> >  + Be able to connect to my mail server from my "client" machines using IMAP.
> Dovecot.  Just Works.

I don't have a permanent IP address (waiting to hear back from my ISP on that), but
I have dyndnsed it, so I might try my hand at having mail sent by SMTP directly.  I
have a cheapo reg123 account that does some forwarding.  I am using "framed web
forwarding" for http://www.thymox.co.uk --> http://thymox.dyndns.org (not too happy
about it being framed, but at least it keeps the "www.thymox.co.uk" thing in the
"address/location bar").  I also have email forwarding: *-at-thymox.co.uk forwarded
to thymox.co.uk-at-sewell.prodigynet.co.uk.  I would like it so that I can actually
reply *from* -at-thymox.co.uk.  Since the mail server would technically be Internet
visible from thymox.dyndns.org, it won't cause problems trying to have it send
emails from thymox.co.uk, would it?

Sorry for being a PITA on this.  Gotta start somewhere!

Grant.