[LUG] Debian does 99.9% of what I want ... Was: Thursdays Meeting / Debian Questions

On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 15:56, Simon Waters wrote:

> --
www.dcglug.org.uk/linux_adm/list-faq.html

Many thanks all that contributed to Debian Questions .... A short while
after posting my questions I thought to myself "well Ive got this far I
might as well try Sarge" so I downloaded the "netboot" image and waited
4 hours while it fetched desktop and installed it ... but it was worth
the wait !!!!

X was a pain again ..... but got it sorted eventually and with the nv
driver so I guess I have got graphics acceleration now.

Spent some time looking at the packages in synaptic..... boy in the
sweat shop syndrome kicking in again ....

usbpen "just worked TM".
openmcu, gnugk and gnomemeeting all there compile and ready to install.

sn9c102 webcam detected after installing 2.6.8 kernel.

fired up Gnomemeeting ... set parameters config tests went ok....

clicked on the camera icon and then total death ... no blue screen, no
warnings, no /var/log/messages no panics....  just total death ......
(guess thats why they call it testing).

Well Im going to stick with it (debian) now because its got everything I
need and more ....

but I would like to have my webcam working so maybe I will look for a
2.6.11 kernel .... any suggestions Simon ?

As an aside Howard Lunn from Churston Grammer popped in quite out of the
blue today ... just back from his holiday in Italy. He was telling me
about Steve ? who had been helping him extend the original K12LTSP
config in Churston. It seems that they have gone over to using samba as
the main network file store rather than using native Windows based
shares, and have done a lot of work on "fail over" for the LTSP server
and other services provided there.

So I asked again about hosting a meeting at Churston, and he didn't say
no ! which is encouraging.

Tom.