Re: [LUG] Kernel upgrade

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:34:49 +0100
Martin White wrote:

I think this is just 64bit computing for you though. At the end of the day,
Microsoft doesn't even HAVE 64 bit Windows for the masses yet. It ships with
MSDN in June so linux is definately one-up on that.

Yeah, I just don't get that.  People will buy a 64bit machine and insist on running
*only* a single 32bit OS!  Why the hell would anyone be so stupid to pay for a 64bit
machine, run a crippled 32bit OS and then *pay again* when Microsoft do decide to
ship XP-64, or LH-64.  Why, Goddammit?!?!  There's a perfectly good 64bit OS just
waiting for them to run already!  I just don't understand some-people!

(when the lottery Gods choose to look favourably on me, I shall be going 64 too).

I went from Athlon XP2000+ with 512mb ram and standard ide drive to AMD64
3200+ with 1GB ram and an SATA drive and i have to say, the difference is
really not all that noticable. Most people i discussed it with beforehand
suggested the difference would be vast.

I heard that too.  <opinion> I guess once you get past a certain apparent speed
"damn fast" and "really damn fast" are indiscernible from eachother. </opinion>
Personally, my 1.4GHz machine running at 1.133GHz (don't ask) is fast enough for my
purposes... currently :D

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.