Re: [LUG] Kernel upgrade

Henry Bremridge wrote:
| Just bought a new machine (Athlon 64 2800, Jetway K8M8MS motherboard,
Geforce FX 5500 128mb, and a 17" LCD screen)

Nice one.. I will be doing similar at the end of this month

| Installed Debian sarge (2.6.8-1-386) no problem, and will over the
next few weeks migrate more and more of my work to this machine.

| Problem
|
| This machine sounds and feels like I have an electric heater going on
the whole time. And I want to be able (in the same as windows) to send
the machine into sleep / hibernation after say 10 or 15 minutes of
inactivity.

It's a nice sound :-)

|  From what I read yesterday, I need to:
| a) Upgrade the kernel (2.6.11.7 is the latest stable one I found) and
build in support for the athlon chip
| b) Run "athcool" or a similar program, that will enable apic
|
| I have found the kernel, I have downloaded it, and I can run make
menuconfig (but not xconfig..each time I do I get a demand that it wants
the QT libraries, and not gconfig - forgot the reasons for that)

Got QT devel installed ?

| But rather than going through the entire kernel and setting it up from
scratch, I thought it would make a lot more sense to Load an Alternate
Configuration file and then amend the settings in my current kernel.

Personally I would build from scratch... but thats just me... cut out
all the unrequired stuff..

| Question
|
| Where can I find the existing kernel configuration (2.6.8-1-386)?

er.. /boot can't remember the file name from memory tho... plain text
file tho...

| Are there any recommendations that people would offer?

Use a 64bit distro if i were you.. you shelled out for a 64bit CPU.. may
as well use it..

I will be going down the Stage 1 gentoo 64bit route... think it will run
Doom 2 ?

Neil