[LUG] Kernel upgrade

Just bought a new machine (Athlon 64 2800, Jetway K8M8MS motherboard, Geforce FX
5500 128mb, and a 17" LCD screen)

Installed Debian sarge (2.6.8-1-386) no problem, and will over the next few weeks
migrate more and more of my work to this machine.

Problem

This machine sounds and feels like I have an electric heater going on the whole
time. And I want to be able (in the same as windows) to send the machine into sleep
/ hibernation after say 10 or 15 minutes of inactivity.

From what I read yesterday, I need to:
a) Upgrade the kernel (2.6.11.7 is the latest stable one I found) and build in
support for the athlon chip
b) Run "athcool" or a similar program, that will enable apic

I have found the kernel, I have downloaded it, and I can run make menuconfig (but
not xconfig..each time I do I get a demand that it wants the QT libraries, and not
gconfig - forgot the reasons for that)

But rather than going through the entire kernel and setting it up from scratch, I
thought it would make a lot more sense to Load an Alternate Configuration file and
then amend the settings in my current kernel.

Question

Where can I find the existing kernel configuration (2.6.8-1-386)?
Are there any recommendations that people would offer?

Many thanks