Re: [LUG] Kernel upgrade

| Where can I find the existing kernel configuration (2.6.8-1-386)?

er.. /boot can't remember the file name from memory tho... plain text
file tho...

For me the currently running config is in /proc/config.gz but i've no idea if
that's a SUSE specific thing...

| Are there any recommendations that people would offer?

Use a 64bit distro if i were you.. you shelled out for a 64bit CPU.. may
as well use it..

I will be going down the Stage 1 gentoo 64bit route... think it will run
Doom 2 ?

Hmmm, my personal opinion after having just gone down this tortuous route is
to not bother unless you REALLY enjoy torturing yourself!

Gentoo 64bit is not ready for the big time just yet unless you fancy your hand
at fixing problems and giving back your fixes to gentoo64 (i don't know
enough about the 64bit environment to do that just yet - which COULD actually
be part of my downfall there). Don't get me wrong, i think gentoo is
brilliant and am running it on my Athlon XP based server still but on amd64
it very quickly got itself in a mess that took me a long time to get out of.
For two weeks i couldn't even compile anything which meant not being able to
add any packages.

YMMV as they say.

I don't really know what i would recommend TBH. I've fallen out of love with
Mandrake, SUSE is superb but i had to go and download a bunch of unoffical
suse packages to get multimedia working properly (not because of lack of
codecs, i can live with that, they actually compiled up xinelibs and kaffeine
et al WITHOUT support for the codecs so just adding codecs didn't help) and
as i say, gentoo was a tortuous nightmare that i don't wish to repeat in a
hurry on this 64bit box.

<RANT>Sidenote, when you're paying £60 for SUSE, fine they can choose not to
ship it with DVD playback and certain codecs, Microsoft do that too but DONT
cripple it to make life harder for anyone to add it afterwards!</RANT>

I think this is just 64bit computing for you though. At the end of the day,
Microsoft doesn't even HAVE 64 bit Windows for the masses yet. It ships with
MSDN in June so linux is definately one-up on that.

I guess it's just the pain you have to go through :)

Unfortunately my enthusiasm for the whole thing is a little muted.

I went from Athlon XP2000+ with 512mb ram and standard ide drive to AMD64
3200+ with 1GB ram and an SATA drive and i have to say, the difference is
really not all that noticable. Most people i discussed it with beforehand
suggested the difference would be vast.

Never mind eh!

These are obviously just my opinions.

Martin.