Re: [LUG] Networking

On Sunday 24 April 2005 8:42 am, aaron Moore wrote:
Hi each and all

Have been trying to set up home network. 2 computers, 1 suse9.2 the other
windows xp, connected by a cross over ethernet cable

That will need to be replaced if you want more than 2 computers on the
network. Buy a network hub (v.cheap) or switch (better) and some ordinary
Cat5 patch cable.

using basic
samber/swat settings. I can see the suse machine from the xp machine

So it shows up in, Network Places?

, but
not the windows machine from the suse one.

Have you set up any IP addresses?
Can you ping the windows box from linux?
ping -c4 192.168.0... whatever
It's ping /n 4 from windows, IIRC.

Remember that Windows is brain dead with networking. There's a message in the
old, old archive that relates to this and it still isn't fixed.

http://www.dcglug.org.uk/archive-old/msg00406.html
You must always start Linux AFTER the Win machine has got passed the logon
dialog. Linux sets up the eth0 protocols BEFORE loading the shell or allowing
logon. Windows waits until the shell is loaded before loading the network
drivers. Hence, if, like me, you start both machines at the same time,
despite starting Linux on a dual boot slower machine, it looks for the eth0
about 20 seconds before the Windows box has created the sockets at the other
end!!

Alternatively, from the linux box, use /etc/rc5.d/S10network reload
http://www.dcglug.org.uk/archive/2001/05/msg00013.html

I assume there is something I
need to do to the windows box,  (I have set up shares on home folders.  Can
any one offer advice?

Also, would like to connect up another box to recieve internet.  If I add
the appropriate number of network cards can I get the suse box to act as a
router?

Probably not worth it. You want a hub/switch/router that you can use when any
of the other machines are off. Using a whole machine as a router involves a
network card for each connection and a separate piece of hardware will do it
all so easily.

Thanx in anticipation

--

Neil Williams