Re: [LUG] Networking

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 09:50:38 +0100
Neil Williams wrote:

Also, would like to connect up another box to recieve internet.  If I add
the appropriate number of network cards can I get the suse box to act as a
router?

Probably not worth it. You want a hub/switch/router that you can use when any
of the other machines are off. Using a whole machine as a router involves a
network card for each connection and a separate piece of hardware will do it
all so easily.

Want to be careful with the wording there.  Using a machine as a router would
involve a separate network card for each physically separate network.  The term
"each connection" could be misconstrued (in this context) as meaning a separate NIC
for each PC on the LAN.  Although without a hub/switch this is the likely scenario,
it is a daft one.  Get a hub/switch as well.  It makes life so much easier.

I have to agree that using a separate computer for a router is really not worth it
unless you want to tinker.  Personally?  I have an "ADSL Router" *and* an IPCop
router so our LAN is behind 2 levels of PNAT.  Why?  Because I like to tinker, and I
do not entirely trust firewalling software that I can't easily fiddle with (ie the
software on the ADSL router).

Sorry... bit of a side-track there.

Just a final note.  These days it would seem that most devices sold as "hubs" are
actually switches.  Switches are better (unless you like snooping other people's
traffic).  If you get a switch that is "MDI/MDIX" capable, then it won't matter
whether you use a cross-over or a straight-through cable, it'll sort things out for
you.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.