[LUG] Sharing an internet connection on Win98 with a Linux box

Hi,

I'm running Linux Mandrake 7 on a machine without a modem and I've got the
ethernet network operating correctly between the linux machine and the Win98
PC. Only the Win98 PC has a modem and internet connection and Internet
Connection Sharing is configured. When I boot the Linux box into Windows,
ICS operates fine. As expected, both machines are running windows after all
so I'd expect a Microsoft solution to work, eventually.

Now during the configuration of the network, I had a 'problem' that the
Linux box was requesting an internet connection from the PC every time I
accessed network resources. I fixed that and I can now access the local
server on either machine from either machine. (Xitami on the PC). The way
ICS works is to silently create the connection - no dialogs or alerts are
visible on the Win98 machine.

Yet when I request a connection from the Linux box, ICS changes from
reporting one user of the connection (the Win98) to 2!? One of the POP Mail
errors I get is 4294967295. Netscape reports that the network is
unreachable. Ping reports OK for local servers but cannot reach the internet
from the Linux box.

I cannot now get the Linux box to request an internet connection from the PC
nor use a connection once it has been established and I can't remember what
I did to stop it happening.

Can anyone help?

Recap:
Linux Mandrake 7 192.168.0.2 http://Linux operates fine. No modem.

Windows98 2nd Ed with Internet Connection Sharing leads to a static IP of
192.168.0.1 which operates fine.

I thought it would be something to do with DNS but I can't get the settings
right on the Linux box.

Neil Williams
mail at neilw.screaming.net
www.codehelp.co.uk