Re: [LUG] Starting Up Network

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:

/ect/resolv.conf reads:

search 192.168.1.2
nameserver 192.168.1.2

which is my router, so thats ok ( I think)

search is the domain which you want to attempt to search in for unqualified hosts.

e.g. if your /etc/resolv.conf stated:
search mycompany.com

and you were trying to look up myhost, the first attempt would be to look up myhost.mydomain.com.

So either search should be set to the domain of your local network, or not specified at all.

Where is the above script,

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

which is where it should be, by the way there is only one ifcfg-eth
(whatever) file and thats ifcfg-eth0:1      (which is good).

I'd be tempted to rename ifcfg-eth0:1 to ifcfg-eth0 and modify DEVICE= in it to reflect that change.

and what happens when you "ifup <relevant
interface name>".

[root@xxxxx peter]# /sbin/ifup eth0:1 [root@xxxxx peter]#

Nothing (Well not quite true, it thinks about it for a second (or three)
then gives me back the prompt.

Does anything helpful appear in /var/log/messages or at the bottom of dmesg (just run dmesg to view it)?