Re: [LUG] Starting Up Network

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 10:26:58 +0100
Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:

and what happens when you "ifup <relevant
interface name>".

[root@xxxxx peter]# /sbin/ifup eth0:1
[root@xxxxx peter]#

Nothing (Well not quite true, it thinks about it for a second (or three)
then gives me back the prompt.

I must be being very dense here, it all seems OK

Thanks for your attention, but am still thinking (tinkering!)

Peter L-J

I have been playing around with sub-interfaces (I presume that's what they're called
under Linux - certainly that's what they're called under Cisco) for various reasons,
and it would seem that it doesn't matter if you give a valid address/netmask/etc to
a subinterface, it still won't work if the parent device isn't up and running.

So, for example, I gave my portable-server (an NFS server that I take to College for
the students to access during during classes) the following:
eth0   - dynamically assigned: 192.168.1.8/24  (for when it's at home)
eth0:1 - statically assigned:  172.16.1.253/24 (for when it's at college)

Now, the first time I did this, you couldn't access the server at College... because
eth0 hadn't been brought up (via dhcp), so eth0:1 wouldn't work, even though eth0:1
was up.

I changed this so that eth0 was statically assigned College's address range and
eth0:1 was dhcped, and all is well.

This could well be the same situation you're in now, Peter.  Although eth0:1 is up,
it might not work because eth0 isn't.

It might be worth sorting this out to just use eth0.  For a simple home setup there
should be no reason to use sub-interfaces, unless it's just to have a play and
experiment...

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.