Re: [LUG] Starting Up Network

Hi

I am having problems getting my network connection to start at boot:

Simon has suggested a course of action (thanks Simon):

| DEVICE=eth0:1

I'd have expected eth0 here, eth0:1 is....

I was playing in the past, and deleted eth0, however eth0:1 is the only
one shown in the wizard. (But it is erratic, sometimes my machine lets
"peter" start up the device, on other occasions one has got to be root!)

| USERCTL=no

For home boxes... "yes" is probably a good answer

Opps, see above!  Gone back into the wizard and changed that to yes, and
then checked the file, it is now yes (don't ask!)

| PEERDNS=yes

For 'static' entries this is irrelevant - so you'll need to edit
/etc/resolv.conf by hand to ensure it has the IP address of your DNS
server - see man resolv.conf

/ect/resolv.conf reads:

search 192.168.1.2
nameserver 192.168.1.2

which is my router, so thats ok ( I think)

Where is the above script,

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

which is where it should be, by the way there is only one ifcfg-eth
(whatever) file and thats ifcfg-eth0:1      (which is good).

and what happens when you "ifup <relevant
interface name>".

[root@xxxxx peter]# /sbin/ifup eth0:1
[root@xxxxx peter]#

Nothing (Well not quite true, it thinks about it for a second (or three)
then gives me back the prompt.

I must be being very dense here, it all seems OK

Thanks for your attention, but am still thinking (tinkering!)

Peter L-J