Re: [LUG] Transplanting hard drives

Apologies for my earlier post, only just seen that Neil has more than covered it.

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 17:01 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
On Monday 24 January 2005 2:28 pm, David Bell wrote:
> On Monday 24 January 2005 12:35, Neil Williams wrote:
> > ?? All the routers I've ever seen come with a built-in firewall that
> > closes every port to access from the internet. It's a basic feature of
> > all routers.??
>
> My Creative router modem (8133u-c1) has no firewall

Creative® Broadband Blaster DSL Router 8133U
Dynamic IP addressing provides increased security and privacy

> , as a result I get
> perfect apt downloads, but http://www.pcflank.com tell me that ports are
> visible on it (port 80, plus several 4 figure ports)

Interesting ports on XX.X.XX.XXX:
(The 1661 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT   STATE SERVICE
21/tcp open  ftp
80/tcp open  http

Port 80 allows connection but produces a 403: Forbidden.
Port 21 doesn't actually connect.

> so I hesitate to use
> it despite having Guarddog installed.

This is probably where you are having problems with apt. Make sure you can FTP
to a server because FTP needs 21 to connect but uses higher ports for
transmission.

Ports between 1024 and 5999 need to be open for ftp-data

I've only got the ipchains reference, it should be only used as a guide for
iptables:

ipchains -A input -p TCP -s 0/0 ftp-data \
 -d $MYIP 1024:5999 -j ACCEPT

I did convert that to iptables once but I haven't got the script anymore.

Basically, GuardDog should allow connections from anywhere on the internet
using port 20 (ftp-data) to your IP via ports from 1024 to 5999, otherwise
FTP (and apt if you've set it to ftp) will fail.

> Thanks Neil - I'm relying on you!

Please don't do that, I've got too much on to pursue this much further, that's
why this is done via a list.

Best Regards
Kelly Jones