Re: [LUG] Transplanting hard drives

I use Fedora core 3 and have moved hard drive to different machines several times without problems, in fact i am typing this on an old machine that i rescued from the loft on Saturday because my Shuttle refused to boot.  Fedora always recognises that hardware has changed and runs Kudzu to load and configure the appropriate modules.   Part of the reason i haven't built a kernel specific to my desktops hardware is that i like this flexibility, if circumstances change i may even run my desktop  OS from an external usb 2.0 hard drive.

Regarding setting up the network card,  i would first run Kudzu as root at a command prompt and that should enable you to configure your network card with minimal hassle.

Would you expect Windows to cope in the same way? Of course not, if the
hardware is too dissimilar, no OS could cope with being transplanted like
this.
Unfortunately this is a particularly annoying aspect of Windows XP, unless the hardware is very similar, you don't have a hope of doing this.

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 10:15 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
On Monday 24 January 2005 9:28 am, aaron Moore wrote:
> Hi
> Can anyone help.

Not this box, no. The potential effort required in fixing after this ill
advised shortcut is more than the time required to re-install and let the
hardware be detected properly.

Even if you solve the network connection, there's nothing to say other
components are not broken or mis-configured.

> After removing my Fedora hard drive and fixing it to a newer computer I am
> unable to connect to the network.

If you put a diesel engine in a car with petrol in the tank, will it work?

The newer computer will have a different network card and sundry other
differences. Why are you doing it this way rather than installing on the new
hardware?

This is a newer machine so it's going to have a decent CD drive (or DVD) and
on-board network support? It's easier to install fresh than to use an install
that was configured for older hardware!

Do the install and copy your user data across later.

Would you expect Windows to cope in the same way? Of course not, if the
hardware is too dissimilar, no OS could cope with being transplanted like
this.

The two machines would have to be all but identical to just swap the drive
over. You'll have to either do the hardware detection by hand or install
properly.

You've tried a shortcut - the only surprise is that only the network card is
showing problems.

When you install an operating system, you don't just 'copy' files, you expect
and require a high level of customisation and configuration to match the
software to that specific piece of hardware. Otherwise there'd be little
point upgrading other than just getting more memory and disc space!

All that configuration needs to be undone and then re-configured for the new
machine. That could take ages - especially as you have NO idea what settings
the new hardware will require because you haven't installed it!

> Before I made the change the linux box
> was conected to the internet through a windows xp computer via a cross-over
> cable with DHCP.

YUK!

Connect to the internet via Fedora - use an external modem (dial-up) or a
router (broadband). Windows internet connection sharing is still broken.

There again, I'm biased.

> I have run the windows network wizard to establish a
> connection and run the linux network wizard many times, but with no success

I'm not surprised, it's a different computer!

> I know I am omitting some vital elemant

Yes, installation. All that hardware detection that happens during the
installation of the system is not done to print lots of junk on the screen,
it is vital to the operation of the system.

Best Regards
Kelly Jones