Re: Broadband Blaster Was: [LUG] Transplanting hard drives

On Monday 24 January 2005 5:30 pm, David Bell wrote:
On Monday 24 January 2005 17:01, Neil Williams wrote:
This is probably where you are having problems with apt. Make sure you
can FTP to a server because FTP needs 21 to connect but uses higher ports
for transmission.

No problems with this particular modem,  apt works perfectly, it was just
my worry that it wasn't secure -  according to pcflank.

It's opening port 80 but not allowing any pages to be sent, so that's not a
problem, it's opening port 21 but not allowing connections. Overall, it's not
stealth but it isn't sitting there waiting to be cracked either.

Guarddog seems to be set up correctly as I can apt-get happily.  The GUI
front end makes this easy.

I wouldn't worry about it beyond that.

Please don't do that, I've got too much on to pursue this much further,
that's why this is done via a list.

Sorry Neil,  was meant as a (GNU/Linux) compliment.

Ah, sorry, OK. :-)

Obviously allowing my problems with file locks to colour my mood too much -
misconstrued.

--

Neil Williams