Re: [LUG] Transplanting hard drives

On Monday 24 January 2005 11:00 am, David Bell wrote:
On Monday 24 January 2005 10:15, Neil Williams wrote:
Connect to the internet via Fedora - use an external modem (dial-up) or a
router (broadband).

Neil,

Can you recommend a DSL router for home use which doesn't leave various
ports wide open?

?? All the routers I've ever seen come with a built-in firewall that closes
every port to access from the internet. It's a basic feature of all
routers.??

They also leave all internal ports open - so that services between computers
on the home network are not disrupted. There'll usually be a DNS config and
DHCP server also built-in and usually pre-configured.

Internal 192.168.0. -> router -> 82.217.89. etc.
all ports open    all ports closed

Routers always have two addresses - the internal and the external. You can
ping both. Typically there is a Javascript or HTML admin interface available
on 192.168.0.1 or whatever is the default IP of the router. You adjust
everything there - but the firewall to close all ports on the external IP has
always been on by default on every router I've ever seen.

--

Neil Williams