[LUG] Re: Why GNU/Linux User Group?

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 10:48 pm, Grant Sewell wrote:
I have a slight unease about it, though.  Introducing a seemingly innocuous
"G" into the group's title to show gratitude to GNU, their developers and
their utilities that make the system what it is.  But what about all the
others that make "Linux" (in the general sense) what people would recognise
today?

That's addressed on the FSF site:
http://www.fsf.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html
http://www.fsf.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
http://www.fsf.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#many
What we say is that you ought to give the system's principal developer a share
of the credit. The principal developer is the GNU Project.
If you feel even more strongly about giving credit where it is due, you might
feel that some secondary contributors also deserve credit in the system's
name. If so, far be it from us to argue against it. If you feel that X11
deserves credit in the system's name, and you want to call the system
GNU/X11/Linux, please do. If you feel that Perl simply cries out for mention,
and you want to write GNU/Linux/Perl, go ahead.

Since a long name such as GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv becomes
absurd, at some point you will have to set a threshold and omit the names of
the many other secondary contributions. There is no one obvious right place
to set the threshold, so wherever you set it, we won't argue against it.

What about the various incarnations of X?  I know "Linux" functions
perfectly well without it

Especially when you consider the recent growth in servers that never use X.

--

Neil Williams