Re: [LUG] Meeting in Paignton

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:50:02 +0000
Neil Williams wrote:

Either way, I'm confused why it makes so much difference calling the LUG a
GLUG or LUG and why its so important?

It's not. I'm amazed that anyone feels strongly about the change, it's just a
small expression of gratitude to those who provided the rest of the system,
not just the kernel.

As you may have gathered from my previous non-committal postings, I don't feel
strongly either way!
<devil's advocate>
I have a slight unease about it, though.  Introducing a seemingly innocuous "G" into
the group's title to show gratitude to GNU, their developers and their utilities
that make the system what it is.  But what about all the others that make "Linux"
(in the general sense) what people would recognise today?  What about the various
incarnations of X?  I know "Linux" functions perfectly well without it, but for many
people X is as much a part of the "Linux system" as the GNU tools.  Does X not
deserve our gratitude as well?
</devil's advocate>

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.