Re: [LUG] Wireless networking

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:25:23 +0000
Simon Waters wrote:

Julian Hall wrote:

| 1.  Comments on the best kit to buy please?

Pass, the built in print server has me beat.

That makes two of us.

Question: is this piece of kit *really* necessary?  Is there a compelling reason to
replace your existing kit rather than add to it?  Wireless Access Points can be
really quite small depending on the model.

Once the wireless settings are correct (and the routers will show the
client is connected), it is just an ethernet network. It really looks
and feels like ethernet, because it is basically ethernet over microwave.

It is exactly Ethernet over radio.  The frame type is the same.  I'm pretty sure
that the encryption thing works its magic between layer 3 (IP) and layer 2
(LLC/MAC).  Indeed the proper name for the majority of WAPs is "Wireless/Wired
Bridge".

Your maximum range however maybe an issue - a good antenna each end
helps - but I expect you'll be okay in the house unless the walls are
very solid, or papered in aluminum foil, and/or chicken wire.

Chicken wire is a good question.  If your house was built with fire regulations upto
"hotel" standard then it's quite possible that the plasterboard will have a wire
component to them.  Normal, "ordinary" houses built for domestic purposes only are
unlikely to have this, but if your house has been a hotel or residential home at any
point within the past 10 years or so then there is a chance...

Main gotcha - get a supported card - and get one supported with proper
free software drivers, and a Linux friendly vendor - easy in 802.11b,
but the choice in 802.11g is rather more limited, and you'll want "g"
these days.

If your particular card isn't directly supported then you might want to check out
the "ndiswrapper" project.  It's basically an intermediary that aims to use Windows'
NDIS drivers under Linux.  They've got a good list of cards currently supported.
I've not tried it myself yet...

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.